after attending National Capital Sommelier Guild's Vintages pre-release tasting: Spain and Portugal feature—have your say!, I needed to get myself to the LCBO for that port. as you and I both know, I am not leaving the store with just one bottle. I never do. so here's what else I had in my bag ...
GNARLY HEAD GNARLIER HEAD SOMMER VINEYARD OLD VINE ZIN 2006 - Dry Creek Valley, California, US $19.95 - ZINFANDEL
Release Date: Mar 19, 2011
LCBO Tasting Note: Sommer Vineyard, the source of Gnarlier Head grapes, is located in the western end of the Dry Creek Valley. The sunny south-facing vineyard and the old vines combine to produce tremendously ripe fruit flavours. This 2006 version is loaded with sweet fruit notes. Cherry and blueberry aromas are complemented perfectly by clove, toasty oak, and wild rose accents. The palate is dry and complex, with great depth to the fruit flavour and a good tannic grip, closing with a medium-long, spiced finish. Enjoy this with ribs, portobello mushroom burgers, or even with a chocolate-based dessert. (VINTAGES panel, July 2010)
why did I buy it? ... I love (some) Zinfandel; especially Cali Zin (red not white) and Italian Primitivo. I didn't have one at home, 'nuff said.
why did I buy it? ... I love (some) Zinfandel; especially Cali Zin (red not white) and Italian Primitivo. I didn't have one at home, 'nuff said.
HAKUTSURU SAYURI NIGORI - Japan $7.95
Release Date: Mar 19, 2011
LCBO Tasting Note: Milky and creamy dessert sake with aromas of vanilla bean, rice pudding, mocha and sweet melon. Best served chilled, bringing the sweetness into delicious focus. A fine finish for a great Japanese meal. Shake it before opening. (VINTAGES panel, June 2010)
why did I buy it? ... as part of Holly, Nita and my Sake tasting - Sunday March 20th - Sake Sunday afternoon (post coming soon).
THE WATCHER 2008 - South Australia $19.95 - SHIRAZ
Release Date: Mar 19, 2011
LCBO Description: No. 61 on the Wine Spectator's 2010 Top 100 wine list. LCBO Tasting Note: Fresh and vibrant, this is medium-weight and juicily focused to show its blackberry, black plum and white pepper flavors, lingering with hints of white chocolate on the harmonious finish. Drink now through 2018. Tasted twice, with consistent notes. Smart Buys. Score - 91. (Harvey Steiman, www.winespectator.com, June 30, 2010)
why did I buy it? ... I am making my way back into the land of red wine. I need to start with fruity, juicy, jammy reds.
our tasting notes: Erin, Vicky and I enjoyed this Saturday evening. juicy and fruity; not particularly peppery. I would agree with "harmonious". I will buy this again.
why did I buy it? ... I am making my way back into the land of red wine. I need to start with fruity, juicy, jammy reds.
our tasting notes: Erin, Vicky and I enjoyed this Saturday evening. juicy and fruity; not particularly peppery. I would agree with "harmonious". I will buy this again.
QUINTA DA ROMANEIRA UNFILTERED LATE BOTTLED VINTAGE PORT 2004 - Douro, Portugal $19.95 - Touriga Franca 45% Nacional 35% Tinta Cao 15% Tinta Roriz 5%
Release Date: Mar 19, 2011
why did I buy it? ... I really enjoyed this at National Capital Sommelier Guild's VPR. if I was going to purchase only one from the VPR then this was it. nothing harsh about it so no need to wait (but you can with this LBV). I like to keep port on hand for dessert; on its own or with a dessert & Stilton or other blue cheese.
Release Date: Mar 5, 2011
LCBO Description: Ranked #44 on Wine Spectator's Top 100 list of 2010. LCBO Tasting Note: Fresh and balanced, this red brims with cherry, spice and licorice, with light, firm tannins and vibrant acidity. The texture is generous yet delicate. Not heavy, but vivacious. Drink now through 2014. Best Value. Score - 90. (Thomas Matthews, www.winespectator.com, June 30, 2010)
why did I buy it? ... "Not heavy, but vivacious", caught my eye. so did $15.
why did I buy it? ... "Not heavy, but vivacious", caught my eye. so did $15.
LAS ROCAS GARNACHA 2009 - Spain; Was: $14.95 Now: $13.95 Save: $1.00 Until Mar 27, 2011 - GARNACHA aka Grenache
Release Date: Feb 19, 2011
LCBO Description: This beauty shows notes of smoke, black fruits and spice box, with an emerging cherry character. This is a smoothly textured wine that will have you double-checking the price in wonderment at every sip. Enjoy with a mushroom risotto.
why did I buy it? ... Nita recommended it upon February release. I enjoyed it with friends so bought another to have on hand. it is fruity, smooth; plus this will not offend anyone with over-the-top flavours. bottom line - $13.95. brain fart: my friend Jean makes a wicked mushroom risotto. if I ask nicely, maybe she'll make it again. I'd bring the wine ...
so there you have it. now you know what I had in my bag.
bottoms up!
Éva
so there you have it. now you know what I had in my bag.
bottoms up!
Éva






No comments:
Post a Comment