Friday, May 9, 2014

Twin Peaks ~ May 10 VINTAGES release

May 10, 2014 VINTAGES release



In this release, May 10, 2014, VINTAGES release features:


There are so many choices in every Vintages release.  How do I choose?  First I narrow it down by tasting notes that intrigue me the most (indicated by bolded text).  Next, my picks usually sway towards something I haven't tried before.  Having said that, I'm a complete sucker for a good sipper so I might return to a past favourite.  An → signifies the bottles that it is most likely going in my shopping bag.  I also list my wishlist (if budget was not part of the equation) and my "long list" (if I won the lottery).  Please follow along as I go page by page.

 

those most likely to make it into my bag ...

→ superb value for rosé ~ MULDERBOSCH CABERNET SAUVIGNON ROSÉ 2013 VINTAGES 999821 | 750 mL bottle Price $ 12.95 - LCBO Tasting Note: Lots of red fruit, redcurrant, red pepper jelly, apple and watermelon aromas here. Bright and flavourful red-tinged fruit on the palate. Tangy and easy-drinking. A good match for pork kebabs or stuffed peppers. (VINTAGES panel, March 2014) 

→ this bottle is gorgeous inside & out! ~ GÉRARD BERTRAND CÔTE DES ROSES ROSÉ 2013 VINTAGES 373985 | 750 mL bottle Price $ 19.95 - LCBO Tasting Note: This eye-catching bottle with its glass stopper has great keepsake potential, and there's certainly a lot to want to remember here. The nose is richly layered with aromas of garrigue, wild strawberry, apricot and rhubarb jelly. Juicy, bright and pretty, this will make a mouth-watering companion to turkey sandwiches or to gently spiced dishes. (VINTAGES panel, March 2014)

→ a perennial favourite ~ MUGA ROSÉ 2013 VINTAGES 603795 | 750 mL bottle Price $ 12.95 - LCBO Tasting Note: Nice depth on the nose with aromas of strawberry, peach, clementine and rhubarb. Bright, racy and crisp with oodles of tangy red fruit. A touch of pink grapefruit emerges alongside the rhubarb on the finish. The acidity makes this a great match for a range of foods - try it with fish, seafood, turkey sandwiches or summer salads. (VINTAGES panel, March 2014)


my wish list of top picks ...

  •  I love bourbon.  JEFFERSON'S RESERVE VERY OLD VERY SMALL BATCH KENTUCKY STRAIGHT BOURBON WHISKEY VINTAGES 367649 | 750 mL bottle Price $67.95 - LCBO Tasting Note: Amber color. Aromas of buttery caramel and kettlecorn and grain cereal with a silky dry-yet-fruity medium-to-full body and a cherry cola, brown spice, honeyed nut and mossy limestone finish. A very nice sipper. Score - 94. (tastings.com, Feb. 8, 2012) 
  • FAIRVIEW PETITE SIRAH 2011 VINTAGES 366252 | 750 mL bottle Price $ 23.95 - LCBO Tasting Note: 2011 packs quite a punch of black fruit - plums & plumcake - with charry, oaky spice. Upfront tannins need time to integrate but concentrated flavours should ensure happy ending. Score - 4 Stars (out of 5 (Excellent)). (Cathy Marston, Platter's South African Wine Guide, 2014)
  • "serious intensity" - FONTANAFREDDA SERRALUNGA D'ALBA BAROLO 2008 VINTAGES 943290 | 750 mL bottle Price $ 39.95 - LCBO Tasting Note: Fontanafredda's 2008 Barolo Serralunga wraps around the palate with serious intensity and muscle. This is pure Serralunga in its dark fruit, iron, tar and scorched earth. Powerful tannins frame the incisive, long finish. I see Fontanafredda's straight Barolo as an excellent restaurant wine, despite its considerable power and sheer exuberance. Overall, this is an impressive showing from Fontanafredda. I look forward to seeing what winemaker Danilo Drocco and his team did with the single-vineyard Baroli at Fontanafredda and their sister property, Mirafiore. Anticipated maturity: 2013-2018. Score - 90. (Antonio Galloni, erobertparker.com, Oct. 2012) 
  • REMO FARINA LE PEZZE AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO 2011 VINTAGES 171587 | 750 mL bottle Price $ 37.95 - LCBO Tasting Note: A concentrated, powerhouse Amarone with luxurious layers of black fruit, anise, mocha and vanilla smoke. This DOC wine offers extraordinary value for the price. It's a cellar keeper but why wait? Highly recommended. Pair with: grilled meats, rich stews, blue cheese, polenta dishes, venison. Drink: 2014-2022. Score - 93. (Natalie MacLean, nataliemaclean.com, Nov. 17, 2013)   

 

others that made the "long list" ...


There you have my lists.  Apparently, I'm only bringing rosé home with me.  Bottoms up!

remember to ... sit. sip. savour.
Éva Nagy - accredited sommelier & yummy food enthusiast.

No comments:

Post a Comment