Friday, April 5, 2013

Petit Bill's & all things Macallan


So far I've thoroughly enjoyed bourbon-matching dinners at Petit Bill's so I was not going to miss out on the Scotch-matching dinner featuring the Macallan Highland single malt Scotch whiskies.  We were not disappointed.  Everything was paired beautifully.  In fact, I can hardly wait until the rabbit is featured again ... I never thought I would say that!  I must admit that I didn't take any tasting notes nor many photos of the range of expressions of Macallan since I was too busy enjoying myself.  I promise to be more diligent next time! 


the menu was as follows:

→ Fine Oak 10 year old paired with celeriac purée - clove scented caramel dust, toasted walnuts & celery leaf
  • Macallan tasting notes: the fine oak range is Triple Cask Matured in a unique, complex combination of exceptional oak casks; Spanish oak seasoned with Sherry, American oak seasoned with Sherry & American oak seasoned with Bourbon.  At 10 years old, it's incredibly fresh & vibrant.  40% ABV

→ Sherry Oak 12 year old paired with crispy fried rabbit, caramelized onion & carrot with grapefruit butter sauce
  • Macallan tasting notes: the Macallan Sherry Oak is exclusively matured for a minimum of 12 years in Spanish oak casks that are handcrafted and Sherry Seasoned in Jerez, Spain.  Our most popular expression. 40% ABV

→ Fine Oak 15 year old paired with French Canadian pork creton with parmesan crostinis
  • Macallan tasting notes: this legendary Single Malt is Triple Cask Matured for a minimum of 15 years delivering an extraordinarily smooth, delicate, yet complex Single Malt.  The ultimate expression of American oak character in a Single malt.  43% ABV

→ Sherry Oak 18 year old paired with rich lamb stew with gorgonzola cheese crumble
  • Macallan tasting notes: the Single Malt against which all others are measured.  This legendary Macallan expression is matured in Spanish Sherry casks for a minimum of 18 years.  Creating a wonderfully rich, natural colour and silky mouth feel that lingers for minutes on end.  43% ABV

→ Cask strength paired with oven-roasted quail - dried fruit & baking spice croissant stuffing, cauliflower purée, roasted mirepoix & pan jus
  • Macallan tasting notes: this expression, aged exclusively in Spanish oak casks seasoned with Sherry, is bottled at full cask strength without chill filtration or the addition of water.  Resulting in a particularly rich Macallan, best enjoyed with a splash of water to release the complex aromas and sumptuous flavours.  60.3% ABV

→ the dessert was Laphroaig-induced campfire s'mores

I spoke with Randy Fitzpatrick (owner of Petit Bill's) afterwards about upcoming matching events such as vodka, cocktails and (I'm hoping) tequila.  Sign me up!!!

Next is a bourbon-matching dinner on April 9th @6pm: Sazarac Family of Bourbon Tutored Tasting & Food Pairing. Randy writes: "Join us on Tuesday, April 9; for a very special & informative evening of whiskey tasting & food matching with Liam Doody, Ambassador for the Sazarac Family of Kentucky Bourbons, as he guides you through an evening of all things bourbon. Each whisky will be paired with it's own unique dish prepared by our Chef Glen Sansome & his team. Limited seating is $75 each (including tax & grat)."

See you there!!!
Éva Nagy - accredited sommelier & yummy food enthusiast

No comments:

Post a Comment